Out beyond the ideas of right-doing or wrong-doing there is a field - I'll meet you there.


Thursday, February 10, 2005

Palestine: an allegory

hi all, this is one of my favorite pieces of poetry - short, unpretentious and hopefully profound. i wrote this a little after 9/11 and also at a time of deep personal turmoil. i never could figure out if this is more of a socio-political statement or the catharsis of existentialist crises. anyway, here it is , for all its worth,

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall
Humpty Dumpty was about to fall
Quoth the King, 'Thou errant egg!
Desist at once, lest thee break thy leg'

"How long do I my woes do hide?
My future is scrambled or fried
No hope remains, weary am I
My destiny is omlette or pie."

"Foolish egg! Cease thy perfidious chatter
Thou dost appear mad as the Hatter
An egg to the end eggness must uphold
So come on down, O round one bold!"

"No King, seek thy repast elsewhere
My shell shall break to fragments here
I leave my word to the rest of my race,
Crack, do not stew in this horrible place"

Humpty Dumpty slid from his wall
Humpty Dumpty had his great fall
All the King's horses and all the King's men
Couldn't put Humpty Dumpty together again

4 comments:

andy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
andy said...

Not yet have people learned to inaugurate the finest festivals-DeathBrilliantly simple poem on existential angst..

Anonymous said...

Humpty Dumpty lay on the ground,
Feeling fried and scrambled around.
Dispatches were sent to see if he was dead,
But, he was just a little curry-ed away in his head.

So the press lost interest, the king left him alone.
An egg with an existential crisis is bit of a bore.
All he does is create a masterpiece or two,
Taking a bath is something he would rather not do.

Well, Humpty Dumpty played the first Hobner he found,
Basketball you see is exceedingly profound.
He’s a v-i-r-t-u-o-s-o now, he learnt about life, measles and things
Since when have smiles been that easy to bring?

-Unworthy- of- writing- nice- poetic comments- but- tryingly,
Miss Eco

Anonymous said...

Ao dikhaoon tujhe ande ka funda
Yeh nahi pyare koi mamooli funda

About Me

My photo
I is a place-holder to prevent perpetual infinite regress. I is a marker on the road that ends in I not being.